Monday, February 3, 2014

Week Catorce

I´m happy to report that this week was fantastic!!! 

Every Monday I think ¨Wow, it´s Monday already?¨ I look back on everything that happened during the week and it feels like it was a months worth of stuff. It´s like what I said during my first few week: The days feel like weeks and the weeks feel like days. I have a feeling that when this is all over, the 18 months will feel like such a short time.

Today was a good P-day. Usually I get so stressed out because there´s so much stuff I need to do that I can only do today. Our P-day starts at 10 in the morning (after our studies) and ends at 5 in the afternoon (most missions it ends at 6, but our mission president made it 5 for us). Luckily today hasn´t been stressful. My
companion and I were starving after we went to the ATM for our monthly allowance, so I treated her to Burger King. She loved it. She kept the receipt and said she´s gonna put it in her diary. I thought that was cute. All the people who were there eating and saw me probably went home thinking ¨Wow, I saw a real American at Burger King.¨ From what members say and my companion, pretty much everyone outside of the U.S. thinks that all we eat is fast food. The members always ask me what my favorite food is. They expect me to say ¨hamburgers¨ and are bewildered when I say that I like vegetables most. Jajaja. Oh stereotypes.... :)

In our mission, an investigator has to attend church 5 times before they can be baptized. Let me tell you how hard that is. Most missions it´s less than that. Since transfers are every 6 weeks, finding a new investigator halfway through the transfer is hard because there´s a good chance that one of the two companions won´t be there for the baptism. This is how my companion and I feel right now because we´re finally finding some people who have the desire to be baptized,
but because of the 5 Sundays thing, they can´t until like March. Our next transfer is March 4. My companion thinks she´s gonna be transferred. I hope not cause I don´t know the area well enough to teach another companion! Ah! My companion and I want to stay together and we pray every day that we´ll get one more transfer together.

On Tuesday I spent the whole day getting my visa. All the American sisters who got here when I did, got theirs as well, except Hermana Turek wasn´t there. I´m not sure why, but I know she´s been having a really tough time and I think she might only stay for the rest of this transfer and then go home, so there was no need for her to get a visa. I can´t think of another reason as to why she wouldn´t have been there. That´s just my guess and I hope I´m wrong cause I want to her stay and make it cause I know she can! I bonded with another American sister, Hermana Kimball. She´s from Seattle, WA and it turns out that we have a lot in common. She was just one of those people for me that I automatically clicked with. I love when I meet people like that, who I can click with instantly. It was a good day. I think I talked more in that one day than I´ve talked in total since January started, because I was with English speakers all day. It was nice to be able to express everything I wanted to express for once. :) And now I officially have my more-permanent visa! Whooo!!!

Ok, so it finally got hot here and it´s SUPER hot!!!! I was wishing so hard for warmer weather and I finally got it. But now I want the cold back! I´ve determined that I don´t like the cold or hot; I like being comfortable. Why can´t the weather always be perfect?!?! ;) I have an awesome tan on my feet from my shoes already, so that´s only going to get worse... :)

I noticed a change in my Spanish again this week. I can understand a lot more which is always nice. It´s weeks like these that give me hope that someday I´ll get this language.

One of the great things about being a missionary is having a front row seat of the Atonement changing peoples´ lives. One investigator has changed a lot in the few weeks we´ve been working with him. It´s really the coolest thing to see. :) I know this gospel blesses everyone no matter their circumstances or challenges or weaknesses.

In our zone meeting this week they talked about faith and pride. Pride is trusting in yourself while having faith is trust in God. Both cannot coexist. Pride is such a huge stumbling block!!! I love how bold Alma 5:28 is: ¨Behold are you stripped of pride? I say unto you, if ye are not ye are not prepared to meet God...¨ I know I´m here to learn a lot about pride, among other things.
My Zone

I love this gospel and I love how it has blessed my life. I know it´s true. I wish I could shout it from the rooftops. I KNOW THIS CHURCH IS TRUE con todo mi corazon!

Amor,
Hermana Sara Slaughter
 American Sisters

My  companion and me

No comments:

Post a Comment