Thursday, November 14, 2013

Week Two in the MTC

HOLA!!
Last Pday was way stressful. I didn't even get to wear my jeans! :( We had hardly any spare time so it was sad, but today is much better! :)

The hermana that I have grown close to in my district, Hermana Turek, was having a really hard day this week. We talked for a little bit at night on her bed. We've been going through the same stuff and it's just so weird cause it's like she and I have known each other for a long time. There's something about having someone comfort you, who knows exactly what you're feeling. You don't have to say the right words, it mainly is about understanding. i was reminded of something a girl at BYU had told me. One of our baptismal covenants is that we will comfort those that stand in need of comfort. But we can't truly do this unless we understand. looking at it that way helps me see my trials as more of a blessing, because even though it's hard and not very fun, I can help someone else or multiple people who are struggling with the same thing.

The language is getting better. I find myself substituting Spanish words in place of English ones. And I'm so used to saying "hola" and "gracias" that it's weird to say "hello" and "thank you." Jaja!! (haha in Spanish) So I guess that's good. :) Teaching investigators in Spanish is painful, but once I know the language I should do better.

Oh my goodness! Everyone look up the song "Savior Redeemer of My Soul" by Vocal Point. Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous! I think it's now my favorite hymn, after "Abide With Me Tis Eventide" of course. :)

Everyone here says that the days feel like weeks and the weeks feel like days. It's so true! I've been here 12 days now, almost two whole weeks! I can't believe it's already been that long since I've seen everyone. :( And! I leave for Mexico in exactly four weeks from today. CRAZY! I know it's gonna fly! I'm kinda looking forward to leaving the MTC cause my district is going LOCO from being here already 12 days. It's good but I'm sick of class and anxious to get out into the field!! Thank goodness I'm not here for 9 weeks! If I was going English speaking, I would've left today!

I'm doing choir here which means I'll be in the choir tomorrow night at the devotional. Elder L. Tom Perry will be speaking and I'm so excited cause he's my favorite Apostle!

It's so weird to me, being a missionary and all. It doesn't feel quite real still. I remember always thinking that missionaries were perfect and didn't have any temptations, even though I knew it wasn't true. If anything, Satan works harder on us because he doesn't want us to succeed. It's hard getting up every day and pushing forward and then at the end of a long day just falling into bed.

I've visited the main bookstore twice and it's weird to think that I used to work there and now I'm a missionary. I saw one of my old coworkers there today, and then another one who I was close with, at the West Campus bookstore on Saturday. It's so fun but so weird to see them.

My district is getting along pretty good. We laugh a lot and have a good time. I think if we weren't forced to be together we wouldn't all hand out, but at least we can get along for mow. I think my companion doesn't really like me cause we're so different but I'm still trying to love her.

Some things that have helped me this week:

           Don't worry what others think. everyone is at a different level and has different skills. Don't let the sound of critics paralyze you. What does it matter what others think anyways??

           The angels of heaven are walking beside us when we do good.

           Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. (That's how I feel every day on the mission.)

I miss everyone back home! I miss having good friends that understand me. But that'll just make coming home that much sweeter. I love being a missionary. I have such a strong testimony of this gospel and i know that I'm supposed to be out here. I love my Savior and Heavenly Father and I know that they love me more than I can comprehend. I'm grateful that I get to share this love with the people in Mexico and I know that they are being prepared now to receive the gospel.

I leave with you my love and this scripture: 

           "Behold I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of Him to declare His word among His people, that they might have everlasting life."

Amor,

Hermana Slaughter

P.S. The first picture is a drawing of my district. The second is of the animals that the elders in another district gave to us. I'm a chipmunk jaja!


My companion Hermana Bernhart



Me and Hermana Turek



No comments:

Post a Comment