Monday, November 25, 2013

Week Cuatro in the MTC

Hola!!!


I got my visa! Woot! My one day trip to Vegas was so fun! There were 10 of us total: 7 Elders and 3 sisters. All of us except one Elder are going to the same mission on the same day. It was fun getting to know them; I felt like we all got along really well. I can't wait to get out in the field (in exactly two weeks!!) and see them and meet the other missionaries out there! It was so funny because everyone would stare at us. A few members asked if we were going home. I need to get used to the staring cause it's just gonna be worse in Mexico with not only my name tag but my blond hair and tallness. Jaja!

I discovered two things that I can spell with my name tag:
          HERmana sLAUGHTER
          herMANa SLAUGHTER
     It made me laugh. :D

I've decided that the hardest part of the day is waking up. If I can wake up, I can get through the day, no matter how hard it is. :)

We've had gym outside in the cold until this week. They now have these big dome bubble things (I meant to take pictures but I forgot) and my favorite thing to do is play volleyball.

I made up a joke this week: What do you call a toucan in Mexico?...... Poder (the Spanish verb meaning "to can") Jaja, well at least I think it's funny.

                                

Some stuff that got me through this week:

Matthew 5:44-45 "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which depitefully use you, and persecute you. That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."

Matthew 11:28 "Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

Come unto Christ. What does "come" mean? It requires effort. It requires movement. It requires might, mind and strength. It's not just thinking about Christ. It is not even just loving Him. It is an invitation to take action and obey Him.


So we teach a 30 minute lesson in Spanish every day to one of our teachers. It's been really hard for me with my small Spanish vocabulary and my shyness. Usually I write out what I'm going to say in English and then translate it into Spanish in my head while I teach. This week, during one lesson, the Spirit was very strong and I was able to come up with questions and answers that I hadn't prepared beforehand. It was so amazing. I'm not good at thinking on my feet like that, especially in Spanish, so I know it was the Spirit.

Everyone should watch the Mormon Message called "Men's Hearts Shall Fail Them." It's so good!

Don't demand of yourself things that are unattainable. We won't be perfect in this life. Instead, seek for improvement. I think this is especially hard for me because I can be a perfectionist.

This week I've had a a chance to think about what I'm especially grateful for:

1. I'm grateful that I learned English as a first language because as I've learned Spanish, I've realize how much harder English would be to learn second. I'm blessed to be learning Spanish.
2. I'm grateful for the missionaries that taught my parents. I wouldn't be here serving a mission right now if it weren't for them. One of the Hermanas in my district said "You know you've had a successful convert baptism when their kids get married in the temple." I love that because Alexa just got married in the temple and that is my goal when I complete my mission, all because of those missionaries.
3. I'm grateful for prayer. I know that Lord answers our prayers and that He can strengthen us and make us better than we could ever be on our own.
4. I'm grateful for my personality. I know that we're all different for a reason. I'm grateful that I'm shy and introverted--it make being a missionary all that much harder--but I know I'll be able to touch peoples' lives that others can't.
5. I'm grateful for my family and friends. I miss everyone so much and I look forward to being reunited in 17 months.
6. I'm grateful for the support I've received on my mission and the prayers on my behalf.
7. I'm grateful for the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know it's true and it has changed my life.
8. I'm grateful to be a missionary at this time and that I'll get to go to teach the people of Mexico.

I am so blessed! We are all so blessed! Happy Thanksgiving to all and don't forget to think about the things that really matter in your life and that you're grateful for! :) <3

Amor, Hermana Sara Slaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment